Henry Ford first set eyes on this land in 1917. Never forgetting its splendor, he returned a decade later to purchase the property with his wife Clara, and made it their winter retreat.
After they purchased the land and built their home—now The Ford’s 6,900-square-foot Main House—Henry and Clara Ford hosted visiting family, friends and local townspeople at The Main House and Oyster House, both of which remain lively destinations for families of The Ford.
After Henry’s passing in 1947, and Clara’s in 1950, the land was tended to by private owners. In 1978, The Ford’s Main House was inducted into the National Register of Historic Places and remains a beloved gathering point for members, who use it for formal and informal events.
In 1981, real estate developer Ghaith R. Pharaon purchased The Ford. Pharaon restored The Main House, expanded the marina and made way for the golf course.
Now entirely under the care of the community’s multigenerational membership base, The Ford’s present-day stewards continue to preserve and honor its history while welcoming a new generation of families, whose stories will unfold in the years to come.